Sunday, April 02, 2006

Winners and Losers

The Swift Competition ( http://www.swiftsociety.com/) has announced their winner and semi-finalists. For anyone interested in some really fine satire, this is the place to find it.

"My Dan" was a semi-finalist. His poem -
A Man of God Refutes a Man of Science
by Dan Halberstein


can be found here -- http://www.swiftsociety.com/2006_shortlist/flood.html

Funny funny stuff...and the meter and mood are perfection.

YAY DAN!!! You ROCK!!!!!!!!!


On a more somber note, I received my computer-generated rejection note from The New Yorker last week. It did not even include a salutation. It consisted of 1 and 1/2 lines beginning with "we regret" and ending with "sincerely, The Editors."

Ah well....I really didn't expect anything more. I just like it when people use my name or even take the time to add a "To Whom It May Concern" or a "Dear Poet."

On the plus side, it was a rapid rejection....13 days from submission to rejection. If nothing else it frees up the poems for me to send elsewhere if and when I get my courage back.

No comments: