Thursday, May 22, 2008

WOMENCOUNT

While we're on the topic of disgusting:





This is a full page ad which recently appeared in several newspapers around the country. It was paid for by a group called WOMENCOUNT

Since the text is hard to read here I'll quote the major portions for ya:



HILLARY'S VOICE IS OUR VOICE AND SHE'S SPEAKING FOR ALL OF US:

We are the women of this nation. We Love our country. We raise our voices in one glorious defiant chorus.
We stand united in in our unwarvering support for Hillary Clinton.





There's a whole lotta "we" in there, isn't there?

Well, I've got news for you, WOMENCOUNT, "we" is not whom you are speaking for. You do not speak for the 53% of the women who are registered Republicans or Independents - you do not speak for the 85% of black women who have consistantly supported Obama's campaign - you do not speak for the women of every race, creed and color who support Senator Obama or Senator McCain - you do not speak for ME.

Our mothers and our grandmothers and our great-great grandmothers spent their whole lives trying to establish the right to their own voices, to make their own choices, to be their own person - they did not do so in order to have their female descendants follow blanket directives from anyone - and anyone includes other women. They did not labor hard and long in order to be lumped in with "all women" like so much meek meat hanging by a hook on a common wall.

You do not speak for me, WOMANCOUNT, nor do you speak for all women.

I resent your attempt to portray that you do. I resent it on behalf of myself and on behalf of women everywhere who do not blindly follow the crowd, who do not willingly wear blinders which tell them all things female are good and all things male are bad. I resent it on behalf of my daughter-in-laws who deserve to be treated as individuals, on behalf of my sons who do not need old stereotypes of women as a collective entity revisited and reinforced every time they open a newspaper or a magazine. I resent it on behalf of my mother and my grandmothers and my aunts and my great-aunts who made it a point to raise me to understand that I had a mind of my own and that it was trustworthy and solid and that no one would ever be able to take that away from me. I resent that the only group left that seems to be unable to accept that reality are other women.

On my own behalf, and on behalf of all the women who do not support Hillary or WOMANCOUNT, I'd like to say this much - you do not speak for us. Hillary does not speak for us. Other women do not speak for us.

We speak for ourselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like the writer of Terminal Chaosity, I say that the women of WomenCount do not speak for ME! Just like the candidate that Women Count support to the end, Women Count presumes to know what's best for everyone. Well, they don't know what's in my best interest.
I am a 73 year old, white, retired university professor, social worker, community activist and I support Barack Obama.
Why the members of WomenCount would want to turn the country over to Bush Lite in the person of John McCain because they think that their candidate was done in by Obama is just ludicrous. Clinton cost herself the nomination by hubris, a belief in her entitlement, and excess.
Shame on WomenCount! Clinton's voice IS NOT MY VOICE! I've created a bumper sticker that says
"THIS WOMAN IS NOT VOTING FOR THAT WOMAN" and I won't. Shame on Women Count!

Lo said...

I want that bumper sticker!! What a great line that is!!

I love hearing from women who, like myself, fit the "Hillary profile" and yet do not agree with her politics, her methods or her madness.

Thanks for saying so.