Friday, September 01, 2006

Bits and Pieces

Congratulations to Steve Schroeder on his appearance here. Nice work, Steve.

A big thank you to John Baker for letting me be one of his "featured bloggers" this past week. Interesting questions, fun to answer.

I received my contributors hard-copy of "Rhyme and Reason," The Canadian anthology compiled and published by Neil Harding McAlister and illustrated by Jonathan Day. It's always fun seeing a poem in actual print and to have it appear in a book which looks so fine is an extra special bonus. Thank you, Neil.

It's a three day weekend starting NOW!!! We're catching the tail end of Hurricane Ernesto (or John or somebody) here in Northern Virginia....It's kinda like a good old middlin' Midwestern tornado only it lasts all day and all night. The wind sounds like something wild and fierce from up here on the 14th floor - glad I'm indoors for the night.

No plans for the holiday. Dan's got a fantasy draft tonight but I'm limiting myself to one league this season so I'm not involved in this one. Tomorrow is a lazy day - nothing at all to do except be glad we're not at work. I've got ideas about what to do, but I don't think they're gonna fly with Dan, so it'll probably be the library, the bed and a bag of cheetos for me. His sister and her husband are going to be in town on Sunday so he's going to meet them at a nearby hotel for breakfast. I can't go, though, so I'll be cleaning house or something fun like that. "Our" league drafts on Sunday evening, so maybe I can just take some time and get my draft order all set and ready to go.

I've been spending a lot of time reading over on Eratosphere again lately. I don't know why, it only ever ticks me off anymore. Bad poetry and worse manners....It's still one of the best formal workshops on the Internet, but some of the old timers would do well to leave their attitudes at the doorstep. Myself included, I'm sure.

Big discussion about using real names of real people in poems. I'm against it...It can be hurtful and it's a real violation of privacy if you ask me. No one did, of course, but I said so anyhow and the poet got huffy and removed the poem. It wasn't just the naming of people which I objected to (in the end, that's between the poet and the people mentioned) but along with the real names of two people, A.A. was heavily featured in this poem and that just put it over the top in my estimation. One of their basic tenents is anonymity and to violate that is just so not right. At least I don't think so. :)

And that's my weekly story - past, present and future - what's yours?

3 comments:

Tom said...

Lo,
Skip all that stuff and just write poetry. Are you working? I thought you weren't going to be working. I was happy for you. You don't know what freedom is until you do not work. (This is not the same thing as having full choice over what work someone wants to do. Choice, power, control, lead to freedom. If someone wants to be a major league baseball player and achieves the this as a goal, then this is a form of freedom.)

Why react to people when they rattle their little tin cans on their bars?

Nice wedding pictures.

Tom

Lo said...

Yep, Tom, I am back working once again....the stay-home time was wonderful, although I squandered most of it on things like sleeping and reading. I'm ok with the job, tho. I like it...it's much more laid back than the hospital or the ambulance were and both of my boss's are absolutally wonderful people. Still, it's almost a 40 hour week again, and time has once again become a scarce commodity. I've written nothing since starting back a little over 3 months ago. < sigh >

Tom said...

Lo,
I have an equation; time = poetry. I understand about working and not writing, and I feel sad for you. Why not start a thread on ablemuse about time management for poets, how to get quiet time, adjusting mindsets for being creative, turning it on and off when needed, etc.