Friday, August 18, 2006

Monkey Girl Finds Home

YAY!!! Finally!! My very first sonnet finally found a home. I had to go all the way to England to find it, but find it,I did.

Fourteen Magazine in the UK published my beloved "Monkey Girl" in it's Summer Issue #4 this month. I received my contributor's copy a few days ago.

The poem looks wonderful....there's a fantastic illustration by Nadene Lewis accompanying the poem which I was not expecting but which totally makes the whole thing come alive. The two page spread positively giggles at you. I'm a big believer in "placement" of poems....it's good to be at the very beginning, at the very end or in the very middle. This one is smack dab in the middle...causing the magazine to naturally fall open right (boom) there.

I don't usually get this excited, but Monkey Girl is one of my favorite poems. I'm seldom satisfied with any of my own poetry, but this one has always pleased me for some reason. Maybe because it's joyous and that's just so unlike me.

Fourteen is a very decent little publication. I say "little" because each issue is restricted to fourteen poems of fourteen lines each. It's fairly big in quality and the scattered illustrations are (to quote a friend) "to die for."

Check it out sometime....you won't be sorry.

Fourteen

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

Congratulations! It's so exciting to get a favourite poem accepted! Fourteen sonds a great publication too. Hmm, must write a sonnet or two....

Lo said...

Thanks, CGF....actually, the poems in Fourteen don't have to be sonnets...and most of them aren't...which surprised me. When I think "fourteen lines" I automatically assume it means sonnet. Most of the poems in Fourteen are not sonnets, though...they don't rhyme, they don't have meter, etc etc...or they do, but not the traditional rhyme and/or meter that one expects from a sonnet.
Give 'em a try. Sonnet or not.

Lo