Thursday, August 24, 2006

For Dan...On His Birthday

August is always a very good time for me. Dan's birthday happens, my birthday happens and our "anniversary" happens. (We met 5 years ago just FOR our birthdays!!)

So....it's





and it's also Dan's birthday.....what better way to celebrate both than with a terzanelle?



Barely Breathing


One long leg, tucked unfeeling, underneath your own,
with one bare arm, casually draped across your chest,
we settle, inhale in tandem, to your rhythm alone.

This is the last moment...the moment where I rest
my head against your shoulder, and end today
with one bare arm casually draped across your chest.

The candle dims, the shadows finally held at bay
for now. And I am once again content to place
my head against your shoulder and end today.

Exhale... I match each breathe with simple grace.
Inhale...and I'm aware. Our hearts beat in like-time
for now, and I am once again content to place

my trust inside your hands - my faith inside your rhyme.
I lie here lost in nowhere, needing, barely breathing.
Inhale...and I'm aware our hearts beat in like-time.

In sleepy awe, I hold you, disbelieving;
one long leg, tucked unfeeling, underneath your own.
I lie here lost in nowhere, needing, barely breathing.
We settle, exhale in tandem, to your rhythm alone.

No comments: